Personal injury cases can sometimes be a challenge. When you suffer an injury at anyone or any institution’s negligence, you deserve to receive compensation. If your injuries were caused by a government entity, however, you may be unsure of how to proceed. Can you sue the government? The answer is yes, but you are probably going to need the help of a personal injury lawyer. He or she will help you to understand the process behind a lawsuit, particularly when you are against the government. Here is what you may need to know prior to your case.

When Can You Sue the Government?

You may be wondering if you have a good enough reason to sue the government. There are a lot of ways that the government can cause serious injury or property damage. For instance, you may crash your car due to road construction or you may wind up in an accident with a city bus. You may suffer injuries or lose your property because a fire department’s controlled fire burned out of control. Another instance may be that you suffer an injury on public property. Perhaps there are dangerous conditions at the city park.

How Should You Sue the Government?

When you decide that you are entitled to compensation, you can sue the government. First, you need to file a notice of claim. To file this claim, you state that you have a claim against the government or government employees. In addition, you would state how much money you seek. This allows the government to investigate your claim and to decide whether the institution wants to settle out of court. In a lot of cases, the government will den the claim. Once this happens, you will have to bring the claim to court and file a lawsuit. You want to make sure that you do all of this as quickly as possible. There are time limits to filing a claim.

You may be entitled to compensation from the government, but you should keep in mind that this case will be a challenge. The government is likely to fight your claims against it. This does not mean that you should give up, however. For more information and to consult with a lawyer, contact a personal injury lawyer today.